[Spice-devel] aSPICE/Opaque can now record audio

i iordanov iiordanov at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 08:31:49 PDT 2014

Hello SPICE devs,

A user of aSPICE (and by extension Opaque) reported that with audio
recording enabled, the client continually records and sends data to
the server thereby wasting large amounts of bandwidth. This wouldn't
really be an issue for desktops and to a lesser degree laptops, but
for mobile devices it has battery drain and potentially data usage
cost implications. So I'd like to add functionality to the client to
send audio only when the user has indicated they want to. I haven't
decided what I want the UI to look like, but I don't have the
functionality in he back-end anyway, which is why I'm contacting you.

What do you think would be the most appropriate modification to
spice-gtk to achieve what users need? I am not convinced it's a good
idea or useful to create and destroy a channel every time a button is
tapped. I could be convinced otherwise, but rather I'm thinking of
just stopping packets from being sent over when recording is disabled.
To that end, I think adding a property to SpiceGstaudio which
indicates whether to send packets and then disabling the call to
spice_record_send_data() if the property is false would work, right?

Is there any chance you guys would mainline such a change? If not, can
you guys think of functionality that would serve aSPICE/Opaque
purposes which you would consider mainlining?

Cheers and thanks!
iordan

--
The conscious mind has only one thread of execution.