[Spice-devel] aSPICE/Opaque can now record audio

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Mon Apr 28 02:33:49 PDT 2014

Hi

----- Original Message -----
> Hello SPICE devs,
>
> A user of aSPICE (and by extension Opaque) reported that with audio
> recording enabled, the client continually records and sends data to
> the server thereby wasting large amounts of bandwidth. This wouldn't
> really be an issue for desktops and to a lesser degree laptops, but
> for mobile devices it has battery drain and potentially data usage
> cost implications. So I'd like to add functionality to the client to
> send audio only when the user has indicated they want to. I haven't
> decided what I want the UI to look like, but I don't have the
> functionality in he back-end anyway, which is why I'm contacting you.

Why does the recording continue?

Spice server sends a SPICE_MSG_RECORD_STOP message when recording should stop.

I have tested with a rhel6/ich6 guest, and it works fine.

Could you describe in which case the recording doesn't stop?

> What do you think would be the most appropriate modification to
> spice-gtk to achieve what users need? I am not convinced it's a good
> idea or useful to create and destroy a channel every time a button is
> tapped. I could be convinced otherwise, but rather I'm thinking of

It should be fine to destroy the channel.

> just stopping packets from being sent over when recording is disabled.
> To that end, I think adding a property to SpiceGstaudio which
> indicates whether to send packets and then disabling the call to
> spice_record_send_data() if the property is false would work, right?

I guess it would work, but I am not sure that's needed.

> Is there any chance you guys would mainline such a change? If not, can
> you guys think of functionality that would serve aSPICE/Opaque
> purposes which you would consider mainlining?

cheers