[Spice-devel] [SPAM] Re: QUIC Image Decompression Method takes much time

Pavel Grunt pgrunt at redhat.com
Tue Jan 12 00:26:31 PST 2016

Hi Ritesh,

On Tue, 2016-01-12 at 10:16 +0530, Ritesh Prajapati wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
>     I have upgraded spice protocol to 0.12.10 and spice server to
> 0.12.6 which are latest and stable release into Ubuntu Host Machine
> on which spice server is running. Then, I have checked with older
> spice gtk version 0.22 with QUIC Image Decompression Method on my A20
> board which does not impact any on speed perspective.
>
>     Now, I am planning to apply patch for LZ4 image
> compression/decompression support on my A20 board and will let you
> know the result as soon as possible.

If you cannot use spice-gtk v0.30, I would recommend you to first try
other compression methods - auto_glz, auto_lz, glz, lz, off
You can do it from the qemu commandline or using `virsh edit domain`

In order to use lz4 in 0.22 you would need to apply patches to spice-
gtk and also to the spice-common submodule. Look for patches
from Javier Celaya.

> Questions:-
>
>     Do I need to add option like image-compression=lz4 to enable LZ4
> image compression/decompression method while running virtual
> manager(kvm) at spice server side? What is default image
> compression/decompression method in latest spice server 0.12.6 if we
> do not add any image-compression option while running virtual
> manager(kvm) on spice server side?

Unfortunately lz4 can be only enabled by the client, eg:
remote-viewer --spice-preferred-compression=lz4

I don't know how you manage virtual machines (virt-manager ?).
If it is by virsh, you can do
`virsh edit domain` and add eg <image compression='lz'/> node -
see http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsGraphics

The default value should be 'auto_glz' which selects from 'quic' and
'glz'.

Regards,
Pavel