[Swfdec] flv support?

Ravi Karmarkar karmarkar.ravi at gmail.com
Mon May 18 21:37:53 PDT 2009

Ref:   Re: Porting SWFDec to Android (Benjamin Otte)

*0.4.2 playing back FLV files was a hack that didn't work very well.
After I changed various internals, it was no longer possible to keep
that hack working. So no, Swfdec itself cannot load FLV files. Swfdec
can however load SWF file and those SWF files can load FLV files fine.

If you want to play back FLV files directly, please use GStreamer.*

I'm a little confused here...

My requirement is to be able to play downloaded YouTube videos(in flv
format) in the GTK based swfdec player.

How does 0.8.4 version achieve youtube playback when it can't load FLV files
directly?

My understanding is that swfdec parses the flv file and uses GStreamer to
decode the audio/video but how to make the standalone swfdec player decode
the flv file in the first place?

I'm sorry if I'm missing the obvious. Please tell me how can I fulfill my
requirement mentioned above.

Thanks and regards,
Ravi Karmarkar