[systemd-devel] Standard directory for shell scripts?

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sun Sep 26 21:05:58 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 02:30, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 22.09.10 21:14, Wulf C. Krueger (philantrop at exherbo.org) wrote:

>> Is there a consensus among distributions about a standard directory for shell
>> scripts to be used with systemd?
>>
>> I've seen /lib/systemd/system/scripts being suggested by someone but I don't
>> think there were any responses to that.
>>
>> I'm asking because Exherbo is shipping a(n) (almost) native-only systemd
>> implementation and, thus, we don't want to keep something like /etc/init.d.
>
> Well, I personally would put the scripts for a package "foobar" into
> /usr/share/foobar/start-foobar.sh or something like that to make clear
> that they belong to that package and one of those days should be made
> redundant and its logic be incorporated into the main binaries
> themselves.
>
> That said /lib/systemd/system/scripts would be OK too I guess.

I don't think any scripts/ subdir is needed. The split between scripts
and binaries usually serves no purpose, and makes ports from one to
the other type needlessly complicated. Most stuff should not even have
the .sh extension for the same reason, the kernel takes care of doing
the right thing starting up executable files.

Kay