[systemd-devel] some issues with missing HAVE_SYSV_COMPAT and /run/lock

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Apr 6 07:42:00 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 16:35, Marius Tolzmann <tolzmann at molgen.mpg.de> wrote:
> On 04/06/11 16:01, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Wed, 06.04.11 15:30, Marius Tolzmann (tolzmann at molgen.mpg.de) wrote:
>>
>>> * /run/lock is not mounted/created since tmpfiles.d/legacy.conf is not
>>>   installed (?)
>>
>> Yes, correct.
>>
>>> So how am i supposed to fix the missing /run/lock issue? i thought
>>> systemd would be responsible for creating this or mounting some tmpfs
>>> (i don't know the status quo in the /run / lock / lockdev discussion ;)
>>
>> Well, we came to the conclusion that /var/lock is just completely broken
>> and we only want it on systems caring for legacy support. On legacy-free
>> systems that dir shouldn't exist (or at least systemd should not create
>> it) since it is deeply broken and we shouldn't bless something that
>> broken.
>
> so what is the replacement dir for /var/lock? wasn't it /run/lock?
>
> if it was: how can i fix the missing /run/lock issue on a system without
> legacy support (e.g. legacy.conf)?
>
> i am a bit confused here since legacy.conf seems to be responsible for
> creating /run/lock stuff which isn't the legacy way to do it (?) but the
> proposed new way of handling lockfiles [since /run is new] (?)
>
> or is it that i don't need /run/lock at all?
>
> or short: where are my lockfiles supposed to go with systemd v23? 8)
>
> i really like all the cleanup stuff systemd brings to the gnu/linux
> world but it is sometimes very confusing... 8)

Nothing remotely sane should ever create files with a magically (the
magic is not even defined) encoded filenames in it, to coordinate
access to a device.

It's one of the things where "unix" had really no idea what they are
doing, regardless that it's ugly as hell, it just can't work reliably
ever.

Just drop all that utter nonsense if you don't need it, and use proper
locks on the device node that go away when the locking process dies.

We really don't want that in systemd for new systems.

Kay