[systemd-devel] Cut down mount time of swap?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Aug 23 08:53:58 PDT 2011

On Sun, 21.08.11 10:54, Claes Gyllenswärd (letharion at gmail.com) wrote:

> My system generally starts really fast, but I have a single blame
> entry larger than all the others together, and it's the swap mount.

Well, this might not be the swap by itself, but simply the swap being
activated in parallel to a lot of other disk access.

Note that on most modern systems swap is not really necessary anymore
since they have more almost boundless memory (unless you want
hibernation). So one option might be to fix the problem by getting rid
of swap... ;-)

> I read in the systemd for administrators that I could add
> "comment=systemd.automount" to the fstab entry.

For mounts, not for swaps.

> Have I missed something about this? How can I dig a bit deeper in what
> takes time?
>
>  # grep swap /etc/fstab
> /dev/sda2               none            swap
> sw,comment=systemd.automount            0 0

comment=systemd.automount makes little sense for swap devices, this is a NOP.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.