[systemd-devel] generators and service symlink

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Aug 23 08:56:47 PDT 2011

On Mon, 22.08.11 17:52, Frederic Crozat (fcrozat at suse.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm testing a systemd-generator to create default.target symlink,
> depending on /etc/inittab content.
>
> Generator is working fine, creating symlink in /run/systemd/generator
> but systemd isn't noticing the file (it is still using default.target
> from /lib/systemd/system/ ) until systemctl daemon-reload is started.
>
> Sounds like a bug but I'm not sure where it is..

Hmm, I am a bit confused. A reload of systemd will cause the generators
to be run, so yupp, they should be applied in that case.

Maybe your generator does not work properly during the early boot phase
since it requires file systems or services which aren't around yet?

Generators are executed very very early, and can only access data from
the root fs, not even /usr. Hence writing them in anything but C is not
really an option.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.