[systemd-devel] rc-local.service ordering

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 23:34:53 PST 2011

Historically rc.local was supposed to be run very late (last) in
startup sequence; and systemd implicitly relies on it (at least, on
fedora-like systems) implicitly ordering many things "to be done late"
afetr rc-sysinit.service.

Looking at startup debug log, this assumption is wrong. There are
many, way many services, that are started after rc-sysinit. So it
simply cannot be used as synchronization cheeckpoint (unless we are
willing to add implicit dependency on it).

Now, I do not care much about rc-sysinit itself. But I do care that
services that we want to be started late are *really* started late.
Those service are mostly getty and related plymouth.

Is there any reason those service are not started *after*
multi-user.target (and stopped immediately before)? This will ensure
startup is complete; and have additional advantage that plymouth
shutdown screen will appear before console is covered by shutdown
messages :)