[systemd-devel] yum-updateonboot with Systemd

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Jul 20 11:11:01 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 08:02:38PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> In systemd we spawn services in parallel, and boot-up completes as soon
> as all services (including yours) have been started. That means that by
> definition the boot will finish only after your stuff was started.
>
> Now, what you are asking for is that the login prompts are started only
> after a specific one of your service has finsihed running?

In general, it's useful to have an on-boot update service make sure any
updates are applied before any daemons which might be updated are started.

That is:

On boot, a network-based update service runs as soon as the network is
available, but before any of the services which might receive updates are
started.

User login services are one case, but in general "any service which might be
accessible to someone" should count. (If the service starts earlier but can
be restarted with the updated version before it is actually accessible, that
is fine.)

Is this possible with systemd?