[systemd-devel] rc-local.service ordering

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:07:26 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:57 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 09:47:14PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> I think the rc-local is a broken concept: the semantics of having a
>> service running after everything else are just broken, and usually just
>> something people want to do to avoid thinking about ordering.
>
> Yes!
>
> Sysadmins who want to start something in a kludgy get-it-going-on boot way
> *exactly* want to avoid thinking about ordering. That's what rc.local is
> *for*.

Have you actually read what I wrote?

"Now, I do not care much about rc-sysinit itself. But I do care that
services that we want to be started late are *really* started late."

Currently I have impression that rc-local is used as synchronization
point by explicitly ordering some service after it. My point is
exactly that this is wrong and if these service need to be started
late (and I really think some of them need to be started late) some
other mechanism is required.

What exactly are you arguing with? :)