[systemd-devel] rc-local.service ordering

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Mar 1 13:35:16 PST 2011

On Wed, 02.03.11 00:07, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> Have you actually read what I wrote?
>
> "Now, I do not care much about rc-sysinit itself. But I do care that
> services that we want to be started late are *really* started late."
>
> Currently I have impression that rc-local is used as synchronization
> point by explicitly ordering some service after it. My point is
> exactly that this is wrong and if these service need to be started
> late (and I really think some of them need to be started late) some
> other mechanism is required.

Well, which services are those you believe should be started late?
getty? prefdm? I think it is sufficient to order them against rc-local,
since neither service actually needs to be started that late really. I
see no problem with allowing early logins. In fact I think it is a
feature even.

Note that in systemd the "systemd-user-sessions.service" unit is the
point where users can actually login. i.e. it manages /var/run/nologin.

Or to turn this around: I actually believe that fact that rc-local is
started and finished before the gettys/prefdm is the more interesting
feature than that it is really started after everything else.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.