[systemd-devel] crypto: to show stars or not to show them

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at medozas.de
Wed Mar 16 05:21:56 PDT 2011

On Wednesday 2011-03-16 04:30, Lennart Poettering wrote:

>After X is up all password prompts do give input feedback

The presence of X does not change behavior of console programs.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, certain implementations use a
three-star-per-character so that there is at least some feedback. How
about using that?

Or, something crazy that just came to my mind is using one (or
more) U+2501 per input character. Provided you have a proper
font, this will produce a continuous line which is harder to
estimate than chars having blank pixels between them.