[systemd-devel] 4 failing tests

Ramkumar Ramachandra artagnon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 04:45:10 PST 2012

Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
>
>> It'll be created by systemd during init if not present. So we _do_ a
>> kind of around.

Where is the creation code?  The systemd-machine-id-setup binary does
_not_ create it, and my patch proposes to fix that.

>> I haven't looked at the details of the patch, but
>> I think that it would be nice to support testing before the first run
>> with systemd: the tests should support missing /etc/machine-id.
>
> Don't know if it matters that much. Failing the test with a proper
> error message sounds reasonable good enough to me.

How do you propose we do that?  /etc/machine-id is hardcoded in
src/libsystemd-id128/sd-id128.c:107.  Instead of returning -errno, we
can return a special error value when /etc/machine-id can't be
open()'ed, and cascade that value upwards from callers, finally
handling it in the test.

> The code should surely not get active during normal operation or any
> service startup/restart, and magically try to fix the system in a way
> we can't know what the right fix should be.

My patch only proposes that systemd-machine-id-setup creates the file;
nothing else.

Ram