[systemd-devel] What exactly does 'systemctl hibernate/suspend' do? Request for better documentation.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 29 18:26:18 PDT 2012

On Mon, 29.10.12 10:24, Jakob Hetzelein (nasenatmer at posteo.de) wrote:

> Dear devs,
>
> I appreciate your work and enjoy getting rid of the one or other package
> which is not necessary anymore since its functionality is included in
> systemd.
>
> However, in the area of suspend/hibernate, I think it would be helpful,
> if the man pages would include more nformation as to which command is
> used to send the system into suspend/hibernate mode. And be it only the
> line "echo disk > /sys/power/state".

There's actually some docs available about it, try:

        systemctl help systemd-suspend.service

Of course, the missing link is figuring out that this is pulled in by
"suspend.target", and that "systemctl suspend" just pulls that it.

I have now changed the systemctl man page to add the information so that
people actually can discover the missing connection. (not commited yet
though.)

(I have also updated the systemd-suspend.service man page a tiny bit to
explain that it at its core echoes "disk" into /sys/power/state).

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.