[systemd-devel] UTS namespace

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Apr 8 04:58:42 PDT 2013

On Mon, 08.04.13 13:34, Luca Giuzzi (luca.giuzzi at gmail.com) wrote:

> Dear List,
>  I need to run some services in a private uts namespace, even if they
> do not require full isolation.
>  I have seen that "PrivateNetwork" is available (per systemd.exec),
> but it not what I want; likewise systemd-nspawn is not what I am
> looking for.
>  I can do some "tricks" with scripts, but I am actually looking for a
> "clean" way to instantiate and attach to a uts namespace (a
> "PrivateUTS" keyword or the like)
>  Even a cursory look at the source did not suggest this to be implemented.
>  Is there something I am missing?
>  Otherwise, is this sort of functionality being planned at all?

This isn't planned right now. UTS namespaces really sound like something
one would want for containerizing full OSes (which we have
systemd-nspawn for), and not so much for running services?

Can you make a good case why UTS namespacing for services is a useful
thing? May I ask what your specific usecase is?

If this is generally useful it shouldn't be too hard to add..

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.