[systemd-devel] failure to disable a servie from restarting

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jan 13 14:05:09 PST 2013

Am 13.01.2013 22:57, schrieb Paul Wouters:

> But I don't want to _stop_ the service. I want the running service to not restart when/if it dies

so do not use "Restart=always"

>> Also see http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/three-levels-of-off.html .
> That page does not really show me an option on how to prevent a restart _from now on_,

there is no one because it makes no sense

> So my original question still is, can i temporarily disable Restart=always without changing the service file on
> disk and sending a system-daemon reload?

no becaue if the service contains "Restart=always" it does restart always

there is and should not be any magic between
imagine what matrix this would open in different possible cases

the initsystem MUST NOT do magic
it has to be clear and logical