[systemd-devel] How to quiet cron sessions logging with systemd-212?

Leho Kraav leho at kraav.com
Tue Jun 10 03:24:40 PDT 2014

On 10.06.2014 13:20, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 09.06.14 09:33, Leho Kraav (leho at kraav.com) wrote:
>
>> After upgrading systemd 208 -> 212, every single cron job creates
>> this flood in systemd journal:
>
>> Can I quiet this down somehow?
>
> The idea with the journal is that we log everything that happens on the
> system, without exceptions, without hiding anything. And filtering is
> then applied when you view things, based on the big pool of data you
> have. This can be annoying, of course, but I am so very sure we should't
> suppress these things, because soemtimes they are useful to know about.
>
> journalctl has powerful filtering capabilities, we have them to make
> this huge datase palatable...

I'm actually all for getting the upstream i.e. cron/PAM acting more sane
so we don't even arrive at the "logging huge amounts of
low-effectiveness information" problem, but as you wrote in your other
reply, that might be a whole separate project.

In the meantime mgilbert's suggestion for using loginctl --linger
parameter seems to accomplish the goal of quieting cron logging. Any
side effects to consider?