[systemd-devel] How to quiet cron sessions logging with systemd-212?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jun 10 03:47:30 PDT 2014

Am 10.06.2014 12:20, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Mon, 09.06.14 09:33, Leho Kraav (leho at kraav.com) wrote:
>
>> After upgrading systemd 208 -> 212, every single cron job creates
>> this flood in systemd journal:
>
>> Can I quiet this down somehow?
>
> The idea with the journal is that we log everything that happens on the
> system, without exceptions, without hiding anything. And filtering is
> then applied when you view things, based on the big pool of data you
> have. This can be annoying, of course, but I am so very sure we should't
> suppress these things, because soemtimes they are useful to know about

if things are only *sometimes* useful that means most of the time they
are not and for anybody who is not a systemd-developer or debugging
something they are just noise

at least the "enable-linger" should be default because you anyways
have all the disturbing sd-pam processes long running which you
need to kill after updates on libraries to get anything in
listed with "lsof | grep DEL | grep /usr" clean

so don't start a complete systemd session for a simple cronjob
which did his job decades before systemd existed or just don't
stop it all the time

the "started target..." messages are in *any case* misleading