[systemd-devel] How to quiet cron sessions logging with systemd-212?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jun 10 09:42:12 PDT 2014

Am 10.06.2014 18:01, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Tue, 10.06.14 13:24, Leho Kraav (leho at kraav.com) wrote:

>>> The idea with the journal is that we log everything that happens on the
>>> system, without exceptions, without hiding anything. And filtering is
>>> then applied when you view things, based on the big pool of data you
>>> have. This can be annoying, of course, but I am so very sure we should't
>>> suppress these things, because soemtimes they are useful to know about.
>>>
>>> journalctl has powerful filtering capabilities, we have them to make
>>> this huge datase palatable...
>>>

>> I'm actually all for getting the upstream i.e. cron/PAM acting more
>> sane so we don't even arrive at the "logging huge amounts of
>> low-effectiveness information" problem, but as you wrote in your
>> other reply, that might be a whole separate project.
>>
>> In the meantime mgilbert's suggestion for using loginctl --linger
>> parameter seems to accomplish the goal of quieting cron logging. Any
>> side effects to consider?
>
> Well, you keep the systemd user instance running all the time then
> instead of just when it is used... Doing that for root is fine, but if
> you do that for all users, then well, you got an additional process
> running for each one of them...

which is cheaper than fire up a complete session again and again
with all the logs recent systemd generates and you *already*
have long running processes for each user ever started a cronjob
also under Fedora 20 which don't flood the logs otherwise

they already annoy me a lot because the last decades that
all was not there and cronjobs where just fine

vmware    4030  0.0  0.0  74208  2064 ?        S    Jun08   0:00 (sd-pam)
harry     4351  0.0  0.0  74208  2132 ?        S    Jun08   0:00 (sd-pam)
root      9806  0.0  0.0  74208  2208 ?        S    Jun08   0:00 (sd-pam)
wwwcron  10894  0.0  0.0  74208  2224 ?        S    Jun08   0:00 (sd-pam)
apache   10918  0.0  0.0  74208  2236 ?        S    Jun08   0:00 (sd-pam)