[systemd-devel] new user/group population on bootup

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Jun 15 14:56:16 PDT 2014

On Fri, 13.06.14 12:35, Michael Marineau (michael.marineau at coreos.com) wrote:

> As a side note, regardless of whether an empty /etc is actually viable
> or not the more packages that support gracefully dealing with
> configuration in both /etc and /usr the fewer files there will be in
> /etc that are in the awkward position of being managed by both users
> and packages. rpm and dpkg's behavior of just picking one and backing
> up the other or gentoo's scheme of forcing users to wade through 3-way
> diffs are all pretty terrible. If packages did their best to avoid
> installing files to /etc, giving users exclusive control over that
> space, everyone wins. :)

BTW: given that there's now at least Colin, Kay, me, and CoreOS working
on getting empty /etc working, can we at least try to agree where the
vendor versions of the files should be? I am kinda voting for
/usr/share/etc, and this is prime bike shedding material, but we should
try to get some consensus there what we are pushing for, especially
regarding prospects to maybe get this into RPM, to always implicitly
place a copy of the config files there...