[systemd-devel] new user/group population on bootup

Michael Marineau michael.marineau at coreos.com
Sun Jun 15 15:16:57 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 13.06.14 12:35, Michael Marineau (michael.marineau at coreos.com) wrote:
>
>> As a side note, regardless of whether an empty /etc is actually viable
>> or not the more packages that support gracefully dealing with
>> configuration in both /etc and /usr the fewer files there will be in
>> /etc that are in the awkward position of being managed by both users
>> and packages. rpm and dpkg's behavior of just picking one and backing
>> up the other or gentoo's scheme of forcing users to wade through 3-way
>> diffs are all pretty terrible. If packages did their best to avoid
>> installing files to /etc, giving users exclusive control over that
>> space, everyone wins. :)
>
> BTW: given that there's now at least Colin, Kay, me, and CoreOS working
> on getting empty /etc working, can we at least try to agree where the
> vendor versions of the files should be? I am kinda voting for
> /usr/share/etc, and this is prime bike shedding material, but we should
> try to get some consensus there what we are pushing for, especially
> regarding prospects to maybe get this into RPM, to always implicitly
> place a copy of the config files there...

For CoreOS I've been using /usr/share/<pkg> for most things with the
exception of some stuff in /usr/share/baselayout simply because that's
the name of the basic filesystem layout package we inherited from
Gentoo. Using /usr/share/etc sounds good to me and we can easily
switch to that for common shared data/conf files. /usr/share/<pkg>
should probably be preferred where possible. So the default
sh-compatible copy of /etc/profile may come from /usr/share/etc but
the default global bashrc should probably be in /usr/share/bash. That
follows the existing pattern of /usr/share so it doesn't become a
random choice where default configuration files land. That said I
don't really care that much so if it is easier to make /usr/share/etc
a strait-up mirror of /etc I'm not going to fuss about it. :)

As a side note there is already that /usr/share/misc but perhaps best
to leave that alone.