[systemd-devel] bootloader time on a non-EFI bootloader

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Apr 9 02:28:03 PDT 2015

On Mon, 16.03.15 11:29, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog (umut at tezduyar.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to pass the time it was spent in bootloader to systemd.
> Is there a kernel command line to pass this information on non EFI
> bootloader? Or is there an another way?

I am open to add this, but I really don't want to see tons of
different "drivers" to read this data added to systemd. Hence the way
I think this should work, is adding a generic interface to the kernel
to /sys/firmware/timing or so, where this information can be read
from. We'd then make systemd read that. And wherever the information
comes from would be a kernel internal decision, and could be
implemented in a myriad of different ways for different architectures.

Also note that ACPI 5.0 exports this timing information in a generic
way anyway. Given that ACPI is fairly standard and apparently is even
what embedded is standardizing on I'd be open to adding native support
for parsing this info from ACPI to systemd, if it's easy enough.

However, beyond that: please abstract this in the kernel, I don#t want
to see tons of drivers for this in systemd.