[systemd-devel] Boot ordering

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Apr 9 03:45:52 PDT 2015

On Thu, 09.04.15 12:26, Andrei Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > order it after the precise units you need from early boot,
>
> This is fragile because it will break every time "precise units"
> change. This is exact reason why we have systemd.special man page at
> all - to provide high level synchronization points that are not
> affected by underlying implementation change. The problem is, systemd
> does not allow to "insert" something *between* two synchronization
> points without knowing precise implementation. You seem to insist it
> is a feature.

Hmm? I am not sure I follow... I mean, as I explained you can insert
your stuff between sysinit.target+local-fs.target and basic.target.

In general: if you don't want to care about precise deps, then use
socket activation and set DefaultDependencies=yes, and all is
good. That's what I recommend to do. If you want to fiddle with the
deps, then you get to keep the pieces, and you have to know what you
do, and know what you need to depend on. It's a fair deal I think.