[systemd-devel] Udev won't rename interfaces that are already UP

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 12:58:29 PST 2015

On 18-02-2015 18:49, Reindl Harald wrote:
> that won't change the fact that if *anybody* comes to the idea to take
> an interface which *is up* down for rename it should get removed any
> commit permissions instantaneously because he don't care about *a ton*
> of implications depending on the local environment doing so

First of all, I'm not a systemd dev. Nor want to be. Secondly, I believe
you didn't really understood my proposition. You are talking about
userspace *after* initramfs and *after* systemd is initialized and
renamed (or not) any interface. Of course systemd should *never* mess
with an interface *after* system initialization. But it can do anything
*right after* the initramfs hand the control to systemd. Of course
except if the interface is up for a nfsroot. In this case the renaming
shouldn't happen. But this is an exception.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini