[Tango-artists] Session icons

Michael Schurter michael at synthesyssolutions.com
Sun Dec 4 20:14:01 PST 2005

Eric Mounhem wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a complete noob in designing icons (even if it interests me), so
> please excuse me if I say something non pertinent or wrong...
> The shutdown and hibernating icons use the same shape and only its color
> change. Won't it be too confusing for color deficient people? Isn't it
> possible to add some element to the icons and permit a better
> recognition of its associated action?

While I'm not a designer either (just interested in using Tango for my
web app), I *am* color vision deficient (aka partially color blind).  A
few quick web searches reveal anywhere from 4%-10% of the world
population is effected by some form of color vision deficiency.

While I doubt the colors used for the images in question would cause
confusion for most color vision deficient persons, I think pictorial
representations or variations are much more meaningful and safe.

For instance, what about a moon for hibernation?

Like I said, I'm just a color blind web application developer, so take
my design opinions with a grain of salt.  ;-)

--
Michael Schurter
Synthesys Computer Solutions
michael at synthesyssolutions.com