[Tango-artists] Performance icons

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Mon Nov 27 10:36:58 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 22:41 +0100, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
> > I'll also be including a panel icon of the current CPU speed, which I'm
> > thinking to use the existing cpufreq-applet icons, and example of which
> > is attached. I'm not sure if better concepts for CPU frequency scaling
> > exist (rather than a microchip) - again, ideas welcomed.
> >
> I think someone interested in their cpu-speed knows what a processor
> chip looks like (a 16 year old hardware geek comes to mind). My mother
> in law on the other hand don't, but she would never use such applet. Go
> with the processor chip!

Better yet in Mac OS etc... this just is integrated with the rest of the
power management stuff, so you just pick what profile you want, and it
just Does The Right Thing (TM). The "applet" icon on those systems is
the battery icon, since it's the same "applet" that shows battery
status. I don't see any reason not to do this in GNOME really, and avoid
the need for a special icon all together for CPU frequency scaling.

Maybe the separate specialized applet can provide more specific info
for power users, and let them select the MHz they want to run at, and
other technical aspects, for more specific tuning.

-- dobey