[Tango-artists] An icon for GAMGI

Carlos Pereira jose.carlos.pereira at ist.utl.pt
Thu Apr 10 08:48:11 PDT 2008

Hi,
I am developping GAMGI, http://www.gamgi.org, a GPL (GTK- and OpenGL-
based) application to construct, visualize and analyse atomic
structures, such as molecules, crystals, etc.

I created these reasterized transparent png icons, with Tango standard
dimensions:
http://www.gamgi.org/icon/icon.html

from this raw image created with GAMGI:
http://www.gamgi.org/icon/icon_845_845.png

The image shows Glycine, NH2CH2COOH, the smallest DNA
aminoacid that starts with a G letter, usually described in aminoacid
sequences as G only).

I created this image using the Tango color palette for the spheres,
before adding a white directional light from above, slightly from the left,
as Tango specification says (I keep the original file, which is in
GAMGI native XML vectorial format, in case modifications are needed).

Of course now I need to create a SVG version. My questions are,
what else needs to be done for this to be a Tango-like icon?

1) do lights and colors look acceptable?

2) what about naming? which labeling do I need to add?
this a scientific application, with keywords such as,
chemistry, physics, atomistic modelling, education (with application
also in materials science, biochemistry, geology, etc).

3) Do I need to add a (1-pixel for small sizes?) contour all around?

4) which applications are more suited to do the work? Inkscape?
What is the easiest way to recreate this rasterized image as vectorial
SVG?

5) what exactly should be in the directory containing the icon?
a SVG file, plus a 22x22 png file, plus a 16x16 png file?
some sort of script? a README? what else?

Unfortunately I don't know nothing about graphic design, so
be patient with me... If someone wants to help me on this of course, of
course I would be delighted. Note however, that this icon should be GPL,
not CC, and I suppose copyright should probably remain with me. Of
course contributors would be fully credited in the GAMGI authors page,
in the website and in the package documentation, something as (or
something else the contributor prefers):

John Smith, icon expert art work (with links to Tango, etc...)

Carlos