[Tango-artists] creating an icon-repository

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Tue Dec 23 09:23:52 PST 2008

Hi all,

I'm a huge fan of the tango icon set and its guidelines. So I'm
introducing the idea of a consistent icon set for my field of work
(Geographical Information Science). The main body of open source GIS
is the OSGeo foundation[1] and I've introduced this idea and was met
with general agreement. Someone already created a basic set of icons
[2] for a specific GIS application inspired by the Tango guidelines.
I've contacted him and he agreed to help to setup a broader icon set
[3], based on his initial work.
So now we have the task to setup a repository to store the icons and
make them available for all projects. We've been discussing a bit how
to setup such a repository and one of the issues we ran into is that
we rarely have one SVG file per icon, commonly similar icons are
drawn in one layered SVG file. We like to have the source of the
icons (the svg file) available for future modification but we don't
want to spend ages on splitting our SVG files into one svg-file per
size per icon. I noticed a screencast by Jakub Steiner on his one
canvas workflow[4] and was thinking that a similar approach might be
used to render bitmaps from source-SVGs in an automated way, if the
source-SVGs are setup nicely. So I like to know how other projects
have dealt with these issues, is it common to store to source SVG
files, do people use automated render scripts, common pitfalls in
icon management etc

Many thanks,
Steven

[1] http://www.osgeo.org