[Tango-artists] Newbie to GIMP and Tango wanting to export SVG->PNG :S

Michael Dominic K. mdk at mdk.am
Sat Feb 2 09:55:28 PST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 2:00 PM, Toby <toby.weston at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Really sorry to ask such a newbie question but I was wondering how the nice
> 16x16 images are generated (from SVGs) and if its possible to do this with
> the GIMP. I wanted to make a small change or two then export the icons to
> 32x32 and 16x16.

Perhaps the artists themselves can answer this better but generally
there is no magic resize/export command. The 16x16 icons are simply
different (low-detail) versions of the icon images optimized for
pixel-perfection.

> I figured that the icon-naming-utils and the make files for the other
> projects are more for installing the complete set of icons? I want to just
> edit stuff. I was also assuming that the way to go about editing icons is to
> change the SVG then export to your appropriate whatsit? I made a small
> change and exported to PNG but found the image sizes not quiet right, ie, it
> wants to export to 16x18 or whatever.
>
> svg2png.sh.in looks like it could be useful, but I couldn't figure out how
> to run it!
>
> My best efforts at scaling etc don't produce such neat icons as those in the
> 16x16 folders? Any tips?

Jakub has two great articles on that:

http://jimmac.musichall.cz/log/?p=98
http://jimmac.musichall.cz/log/?p=177