[Tango-artists] Shadows in Icons

Ryan Henningsen xryancat at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 18:25:12 PDT 2008

Why are there shadows under almost all tango and gnome-tango icons? It makes
sense for a lot of icons like music notes or the magnifying glass white
would cast a visible shadow underneath them, but not on icons like the
terminal and text editor where the shadow only extends 1px from the actual
icon (on size 22 icons). Beyond that there isn't a specific dimension for
the shadow perspective. Some shadows are almost circular while others are
extremely elongated. Should we have a recommended width:height ratio shadows
used in icons?

This is also my first time sending a message on a mailing list, so I hope I
did it right!