[Tango-artists] Scilab and Tango

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Fri May 23 10:28:01 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 17:11 +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:

> > These icons already exist, as I'm using them even just right now with Inkscape. I'm sure someone else will give you a more detailed response, but this is just as a quick reply.
> OK, thanks.
> A constructive remark but it is not very easy to understand in the Tango
> project why all the icons are not available in the CVS or in the
> tarball. And also why Additional Sets are hosted on third party URLS.

All of the tango-icon-theme icons are in CVS and the tarball. Tango is
however a project of style, and tango-icon-theme just happens to be one
implementation of that style. The gnome-icon-theme package in GNOME also
follows the Tango style (all the new icons do anyway, there are still
plenty of old ones in it). And several other projects also have their
own icons which might be in the Tango style. Those in Houdini 9 from
SideFx for example. Not all of these icons are under the same license,
or are even necessarily redistributable. The goal of the project is
not to provide a library of all possible icons, but to provide a style
for which icons may follow to fit in better with the rest of the world.

Additional sets are hosted on third party URLs because they are
created by third parties. We didn't create them. We just provide
links to them for people who also want to use them in other
applications. The preferred method of using the icons in a Linux
desktop application, is to use the icon theme API to load the icons,
in whatever toolkit you are using.

-- dobey