[Telepathy] Account and AccountManager objects

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Wed Jan 23 08:12:55 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 03:19:30PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> I begin to wonder whether we should have a section in the Telepathy spec
> with protocol-specific notes, like the recommended mapping between
> JIDs/etc. and handles.

It would be better than "do it like [Gabble/Salut]".  :-)  But, are many
more different implementations of the same protocol likely?

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 at 14:09:46 +0000, Will Thompson wrote:
> > * Myspace: account parameter is the email address you sign up to myspace
> >   with.  Normalized handles are either such email addresses, or the
> >   alphanumeric string "nnnrgh" of a profile URL like
> >   <http://www.myspace.com/nnnrgh>.  There's normalization from one form to
> >   the other (I can't remember the direction), which doesn't always work
> >   (kind of like the protocol plugin in general, actually, but the
> >   developer has just reappeared so maybe it'll improve!).
>
> Urgh. If I remember correctly, every myspace account is uniquely ID'd by
> an email address, and some (but not all) myspace accounts have a short
> name too? I doubt we particularly care about 100% correct semantics
> though :-P

That's right.  And, I believe that normalizing one to the other if the
contact isn't on your buddy list involves a network round trip, which
libpurple's normalization hook doesn't support.

But, I'm sure all of the Telepathy + MyspaceIM users out there don't
mind too much. :-)

> > * local-xmpp: as Salut, except you have to supply an account parameter,
> >   which is a bug.
>
> Yeah... but you can make it optional at the Tp level, and if missing,
> use the same algorithm as Salut, right? :-)

Yes, I could.  It's now #14214.  It's not high on my TODO list.

--
Will