[Telepathy] API sketches for encrypted channels, and OTR

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 08:35:32 PST 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 at 15:01:02 +0100, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
>         So, the idea is to have another property,
>         EncryptionState (enum) which indicates the actual state of the
>         request (we could have three states here: NoEncryption /
>         Pending / Completed, the actual names to be decided yet).
[...]
>       * this works a bit like InitialVideo / InitialAudio in the
>         StreamedMedia interface, where EncryptionState is an immutable
>         property in that fashion.

That's not an immutable property. Don't confuse immutable properties (those
which can never change, like Interfaces and InitialAudio) with requestable
properties (those which can be in a request, like InitialAudio).

You could make EncryptionState requestable but mutable, which would mean it
was in the CreateChannel() call, but not in the NewChannels signal.

Alternatively, you could have a boolean, EncryptionRequired, which could be
both immutable and requestable, and also have a separate mutable property like
EncryptionState or EncryptionActive to indicate how we're getting on.

    Simon