[Telepathy] Storing passwords in MC and regsitering new accounts.

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 23:44:09 PDT 2011

Le dimanche 02 octobre 2011 à 13:12 +1100, Danielle Madeley a écrit :
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 16:28 +0100, David Edmundson wrote:
> > Apparently storing passwords in mission control is deprecated. So we
> > (in KDE Telepathy) have replaced it with storing the passwords with
> > taking any 'password' parameter and placing it in KWallet.
>
> > We've taken this to mean we should not pass any "password" parameters
> > to MC. Is this correct?
> > If we do pass them our users (potentially) get bombarded with dialogs
> > for gnome-keyring, and the password gets stored in two places.
>
> The correct mechanism is to create a handler for the SASL auth channel
> type that implements the X-TELEPATHY-PASSWORD method. You can then
> provide your own authentication dialog, and save the password wherever
> you wish (i.e. KWallet). When a Connection Manager requires a password,
> it will create one of these channels, and you can either provide the
> password from KWallet or prompt for it.
>
> Eventually the 'password' parameter will be deprecated and then
> eventually removed from all CMs.
>
> Take a look at 'empathy-auth-client' and
> http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/Channel_Interface_SASL_Authentication.html

Note that not all accounts support password authentification. Now
xmpp.messenger.live.com accepts only access-token. So your SASL handler
will have to display a LiveConnect webpage to get that token instead of
using KWallet to get a password.

Telling this because gabble and empathy were previously assuming the
X-TELEPATHY-PASSWORD was always present (reported bug with patch to fix
this).

Regards,
Xavier Claessens.