[Uim] Development plan for uim 1.1 (was: Re: uim 1.0.0 released)

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Thu Dec 29 18:32:58 EET 2005

Hi developers,

At Fri, 23 Dec 2005 22:59:17 +0900,
yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp wrote:
> As we agreed with, the next step is merger with r5rs branch.
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/uim/2005-November/001386.html
>
> Although required features have mostly been implemented, it
> needs more refinement to reach production quality. I'll make an
> estimate about time for it, in this weekend. Please wait for.

As my estimation, it requires at least one more month. Since it
means that the development on trunk will be suspended one month,
we should modify our plan to keep all developers active. We have
two alternative ways. Please let me know your preference.

1. Concentrate all our effort into r5rs branch to finish it earlier
2. Postpone the merger to 1.2 and improve a non-core feature on trunk

Since core implementation of libuim should be kept untouched
until the merger to keep out non-SigScheme unstabilizing factors
from the Scheme implementation switching, we should modify or
write only non-core features.

I've glanced over the source tree to find the code appropriate
for 2., and adding icon support is that. It will involve a
little helper-protocol modification and generic indicator widget
implementation. Since the new widget will also be used for the
composer framework, the effort for it is cost-effective.

I'll post closer details for it if someone prefer 2. Keep in
mind that which way makes your development happy. It's important
for sustainable development.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp