[Uim] Goal of uim

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Fri Dec 23 16:50:46 EET 2005

Hi again,

I've found some description of uim is surely misleading. Please
correct such descriptions you know. Sorry for my late response.

  http://uim.freedesktop.org/
  "uim's project goal is to provide secure and useful input
  method for all languages."

The goal is already outdated. New goal is:

  "to provide flexible development platform and useful user
  environment for input methods"

See "technical aspect" section of following message for further
information.

  [Uim] Development reformation: Project priorities
  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/uim/2005-November/001371.html

We should not overuse the word 'secure' since it is the most
misleading about the project direction and state. As a fact, no
active committer devotes enough effort and paranoid
observation. It made current uim ordinary. There is no special
advantage about security. So we should not use the word. It may
make an exaggeration.

To use the word, we should do make secure coding standard,
periodic code audit, devote sustained efforts, at least.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp