[Uim] Added romaja to my Korean input module

Jae-hyeon Park jhpark at tuhep.phys.tohoku.ac.jp
Wed Nov 9 15:45:36 EET 2005

Hello,

I am sorry for being late.  I was too busy moving from Korea to Japan.
Now I am a postdoctoral researcher at Tohoku University.

As I said in a previous posting, I added romaja layout to byeoru.
The scheme files can be downloaded from
http://www.tuhep.phys.tohoku.ac.jp/~jhpark/uim/.
If this is the first time that you hear about this module, please look
at the article
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/uim/2005-June/001123.html
and the following thread.

Assignment of roman letters to each jamo is shown below.

    Consonants

    ㄱ  g
    ㄲ  gg kk qq c
    ㄴ  n
    ㄷ  d
    ㄸ  dd tt
    ㄹ  r l
    ㅁ  m
    ㅂ  b v
    ㅃ  bb pp ff vv
    ㅅ  s
    ㅆ  ss
    ㅇ  x(choseong) ng(jongseong)
    ㅈ  j z
    ㅉ  jj zz
    ㅊ  ch
    ㅋ  k q
    ㅌ  t
    ㅍ  p f
    ㅎ  h

    Vowels

    ㅏ  a
    ㅐ  ae
    ㅑ  ya ia
    ㅒ  yae iae
    ㅓ  eo
    ㅔ  e
    ㅕ  yeo ieo
    ㅖ  ye ie
    ㅗ  o
    ㅘ  wa ua oa
    ㅙ  wae uae oae
    ㅚ  oe woe uoe oi
    ㅛ  yo io
    ㅜ  u w oo
    ㅝ  wo weo uo
    ㅞ  we ue
    ㅟ  wi
    ㅠ  yu iu
    ㅡ  eu
    ㅢ  ui eui
    ㅣ  i y ee

There are cases where the syllable separation does not occur when you
want it to.  For example, "gagga" results in 각가.  If you want to
write 가까, you can do it by typing "gaGga", namely, holding down a
shift key indicates that the pressed key initiates a new syllable.  If
a syllable begins with a vowel, i.e., if the choseong is ㅇ, there is
another way.  You can press "x" to enter "ㅇ".  For example, "ageo"
becomes "아거", while "agEo" or "agxeo" leads to 악어.

The behaviour of a shifted vowel key depends on the option "Shifted
roman vowel inputs an isolated vowel."  If you turn this option on, a
shifted vowel key enters an isolated vowel.  For example, "agEo"
becomes 악ㅓ if this option is on.  Still, you can enter 악어 by
"agxeo".

In romaja mode, Backspace key deletes a roman alphabet.  For example,
"b y e o [BS] [BS] a" generates ㅂ, 비, 볘, 벼, 볘, 비, 뱌 in
sequence.

For those of you who are already familiar with romaja layout included
in HWP, let me summarise differences between byeoru and HWP.  (a)
"weo" can be used for ㅝ in byeoru while "weo" does not represent ㅝ
in HWP.  I added this because it makes more sense to me to include
this and because the romanization scheme proposed by Hangul Society in
1984 includes this.  (b) In HWP, "qk" can mean ㄲ and "bv" can mean
"ㅃ" and so on, which is not the case in byeoru.  (c) In byeoru, you
can input an isolated vowel by pressing a vowel while holding down a
shift key if you have turned on the option "Shifted roman vowel inputs
an isolated vowel," as explained above.

About one month ago, Hiroyuki said that he would incorporate this
module to uim.  I think byeoru now has enough features.
Can anybody help me to add byeoru to uim?

This module was tested with uim 0.4.7 on Debian etch.  By the way, I
find that uim 0.4.7-1 in Debian etch often crashes when I switch from
byeoru to anthy for example.  This did not happen with 0.4.6final1.

Jae-hyeon