"hosted" patch for nouveau - X under wayland

nerdopolis bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net
Thu Dec 2 19:37:51 PST 2010

On Sunday, November 28, 2010 02:29:51 AM you wrote:
> [...]
>
> Oh, there's a -hosted flag.  Hmm.  So "./Xorg :1 -hosted -rootless"?
>

> Background:
>
> It's possible to run X.org as a client of wayland, rootless or not, if
> you have an Intel video card:
> http://wayland.freedesktop.org/rootless-x-under-wayland.png
> http://wayland.freedesktop.org/fullscreen-x-compiz.png
>
> This requires a modified X.org from here:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~krh/xserver/log/?h=hosted
>
> And a patch to the X.org video driver, here:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~krh/xf86-video-intel/log/?h=hosted
>
> I attempted to port that patch to the nouveau driver:
> http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/nouveau.hosted.git.patch
>

> Getting it to run goes something like this (assuming you have wayland and
> all its dependencies in $HOME/install):
>
> git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm
> cd drm
> ./autogen.sh --prefix=$HOME/install --enable-nouveau-experimental-api
> make
> make install
> cd ..
>
> git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~krh/xserver --branch hosted
> cd xserver
> ./autogen.sh --prefix=$HOME/install --enable-nouveau-experimental-api
> make
> make install
> cd ..
>
> wget http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/nouveau.hosted.git.patch
> git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/xf86-video-nouveau
> cd xf86-video-nouveau
> patch -p1 < ../nouveau.hosted.git.patch
> ./autogen.sh --prefix=$HOME/install --enable-nouveau-experimental-api
> make
> make install
> cd ..
>
> mkdir -p $HOME/install/etc/X11
> echo -e 'Section "Device"\nIdentifier "n"\nDriver "nouveau"\nEndSection' >
> $HOME/install/etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> wayland/compositor/compositor &
> sleep 1
> $HOME/install/bin/Xorg :1 -hosted -rootless &
> # Haven't gotten this last one to work.
>

> I also rebuilt my kernel from the nouveau git repo, under ubuntu maverick:
>
> git clone --depth 1 git://anongit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/linux-2.6
> cd linux-2.6
> cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config # use .config of currently running
> kernel yes "" | make oldconfig # use defaults of newer features
> make clean && make && make modules && sudo make modules_install && sudo
> make install mkinitramfs -o initrd.img `make kernelversion`+
> sudo mv initrd.img /boot/initrd.img-`make kernelversion`+
> sudo update-grub
>
> Reboot.
>

> Note that the "+"'s in the kernel build steps seem to be a peculiarity of
> the nouveau kernel tree.  I was really amazed it worked that easily, once
> I figured it out.  That kernel directory alone ended up being 6.6
> gigabytes.  The kernel install is nice and clean, creating only two files
> in /boot and a directory in /lib/modules.

I am trying to test the hosted x server (on intel)

I ran
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~krh/xserver --branch hosted
cd xserver
./autogen.sh
make
make install
cd ..

and when I try to run

./Xorg  :1 -hosted -rootless

I get

This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org Foundation.
It is not supported in any way.
Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
latest version in the X.Org Foundation git repository.
See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/GitPage for git access instructions.

X.Org X Server 1.9.99.1
Release Date: 2010-10-01
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.37-7-generic i686
Current Operating System: Linux nerdopolis 2.6.37-7-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Tue
Nov 30 23:46:45 UTC 2010 i686
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-7-generic
root=UUID=9c16ad49-512a-4b06-b539-73cde5b29da2 ro quiet splash i915.modeset=1
Build Date: 02 December 2010  10:26:37PM

Current version of pixman: 0.18.4
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/usr/local/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Thu Dec  2 22:35:49 2010
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) Failed to load module "intel" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/usr/local/var/log/Xorg.1.log" for
additional information.

Is there some way I need to configure the xorg.conf?