Benchmark of Wayland

microcai microcai at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 11 03:37:42 PST 2010

Wayland start a new age, when every one can write X server.
We can't forget who bring us the new age, the EGL.
Yes, if you can get GLcontext on raw framebuffer, then why can't we write X.
So, next generation X should be fully hardware independent.
X only depends on EGL and some basic system libs.
X will no longer have driver as module of built-in, because it is the EGL
and kernel that should manage the graphic hardware...

EGL and DRM makes it possible that X is only a GL program ......

so , I just hope NVIDIA and AMD can provide there hardware's EGL library so
that we can start using Wayland right away ....

currently we just have Mesa's EGL.. too bad .....
Hope ubuntu's decision can make some difference ......