Wayland blur/other effect reigons?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jun 9 02:51:04 PDT 2011

On 06/03/2011 04:39 AM, nerdopolis wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I was wondering, how are you planning to allow Wayland applications put blur
> on the screen?
>
> Will it be specified by the app as a reigion for the compistor to handle, or
> will the effect be handled by the clients? (someone suggested that the effects
> could be client side)
>
> There might also be other effects that an app might want, like invert,
> magnify, or reflect...
>
> If its done by the clients, that would mean they will have to be constantly
> grabbing the piximaps or whatever, right?

Everything drawing-related will be handled by the clients, which
then write the completed application image to a buffer which is
drawn as-is to the screen. There's no grabbing of pixmaps because
the client already has them.

Naturally, this should be handled pretty much seamlessly by the
toolkit used (gtk+, qt or whatever).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.