Touch events

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Feb 21 16:21:29 PST 2012

Hi,

On 22 February 2012 00:13, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems like it would be better if clients got the touch events first, and
> the compositor only did things if the client said it was uninterested in the
> events. For a lot of touch events this can be decided immediately on the
> touch-down, since the client knows the user is pushing nothing.

No, this just isn't true.  You want global gestures (e.g. three finger
swipe to change desktop) to take precedence over local shortcuts.  And
you cannot -- cannot -- know at touch-down time who's going to be
ultimately interested in it.  Because for a three-finger swipe, there
will be a time when there's only one finger down, or two.  At which
point the client will say, 'ah yes, I'm interested in this!'.  And
then the third finger lands and you regret a terrible design decision
you made.

Cheers,
Daniel