xserver deelopments

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 12:50:47 PDT 2013

Since you seem to be working on the xserver, I was wondering if you
could address some problems I have been having.

I think my underlying difficulty is that I have to use the wlshm driver
rather than the default of wlegl. This requires me to find an xorg.conf
file setting the driver to wlshm. This requires an environment variable
to be changed between when I run X and when I run wayland (if I want to
try xwayland under wayland running in an X window).

I am very suspicious of what data in an xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d file
will do to the xwayland server if it was not intended for it. It is
obvious from tracing the code that the xwayland driver is parsing the
file and setting lots of internal data structures from it. I find it
highly unlikely that the xwayland driver is actually ignoring every bit
of the resulting state, thus random xorg.conf files can produce
unexpected internal states and strange bugs that I would think the
xwayland developers would prefer not to have to fix.

One known thing this prevents is the ability to test the default config
compiled into xwayland. It will *always* find /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it
exists.

I have posted several times a patch to change the name of the file from
xorg.conf to xwayland.conf (and xwayland.conf.d). For most users this
would cause x under wayland to use the default configuration. If
configuration is really needed (for instance to set the wlshm driver)
then I can create an xwayland.conf file to set only this and not break
my X server. This patch has been rejected by Kristian with a claim that
the driver is ignored because it is somehow recognized as not being a
wayland driver. This however does not address my need for the wlshm
driver or my worry about what hundreds of lines messing with input and
output devices and other settings will do to xwayland. Do you have any
opinion on this?

Another thing I was thinking of looking into is to merge the wlshm code
into the wlegl driver, similar to how the toytoolkit will use shm if egl
fails. This would allow the default driver to work, so in theory if the
claim that reading xorg.conf is harmless then it will work for me
without hiding the config file. Also it appears there are numerous bugs
in wlshm that have been fixed in wlegl.