xserver deelopments

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Aug 21 15:59:44 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 21 August 2013 20:50, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think my underlying difficulty is that I have to use the wlshm driver
> rather than the default of wlegl. This requires me to find an xorg.conf file
> setting the driver to wlshm. This requires an environment variable to be
> changed between when I run X and when I run wayland (if I want to try
> xwayland under wayland running in an X window).

wlshm should be a default.  I've got a patch which adds this, just
needs re-posting.  I'll be working on that this week.

> I am very suspicious of what data in an xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d file will
> do to the xwayland server if it was not intended for it. It is obvious from
> tracing the code that the xwayland driver is parsing the file and setting
> lots of internal data structures from it. I find it highly unlikely that the
> xwayland driver is actually ignoring every bit of the resulting state, thus
> random xorg.conf files can produce unexpected internal states and strange
> bugs that I would think the xwayland developers would prefer not to have to
> fix.

I think that's perhaps a little dramatic, but a fair point nonetheless.

> One known thing this prevents is the ability to test the default config
> compiled into xwayland. It will *always* find /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it
> exists.
>
> I have posted several times a patch to change the name of the file from
> xorg.conf to xwayland.conf (and xwayland.conf.d). For most users this would
> cause x under wayland to use the default configuration. If configuration is
> really needed (for instance to set the wlshm driver) then I can create an
> xwayland.conf file to set only this and not break my X server. This patch
> has been rejected by Kristian with a claim that the driver is ignored
> because it is somehow recognized as not being a wayland driver. This however
> does not address my need for the wlshm driver or my worry about what
> hundreds of lines messing with input and output devices and other settings
> will do to xwayland. Do you have any opinion on this?

Actually, rather than use a different set of configs, I'd rather have
a MatchBackend key which would ignore the section, or file, if
specified.  So you could have the same files, but with a MatchBackend
"wayland" key to specify the bits you wanted to apply to XWayland.
How's that?

> Another thing I was thinking of looking into is to merge the wlshm code into
> the wlegl driver, similar to how the toytoolkit will use shm if egl fails.
> This would allow the default driver to work, so in theory if the claim that
> reading xorg.conf is harmless then it will work for me without hiding the
> config file. Also it appears there are numerous bugs in wlshm that have been
> fixed in wlegl.

Any in particular? I'd like to pull those fixes over to my wlshm
branch, and then move that to fd.o.

Cheers,
Daniel