[RFC] wl_surface scale and crop protocol extension

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu May 2 04:32:41 PDT 2013

On Thu, 02 May 2013 10:53:14 +0300
Ander Conselvan de Oliveira <conselvan2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The protocol allows us to add new requests to a new version of an
> interface. For instance, the set_buffer_transform request was added
> to version 2 of the wl_surface interface.
>
> I believe the scaled video use case is reason enough to add this
> straight to wl_surface.

That's up to debate. If we add crop&scale directly into wl_surface, and
then later add method Foo, then no server can support Foo without also
supporting crop&scale.

This Foo could be, say, request for the presentation timestamp, to
completement the frame callback we already have.

So it's really a question whether we can require all compositors to
unconditionally support crop&scale. And that really means *all* Wayland
compositors forever, since wl_surface is core protocol.