[RFC] wl_surface scale and crop protocol extension

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu May 2 11:06:54 PDT 2013

Pekka Paalanen wrote:

> So it's really a question whether we can require all compositors to
> unconditionally support crop&scale. And that really means *all* Wayland
> compositors forever, since wl_surface is core protocol.

I see no reason not to make this a requirement. You already require 90
degree rotations and ortogonal reflections (since clients can set the
buffer transform) and weston uses arbitrary transforms to rotate
windows. And you require ARGB32 support even if the hardware does not
like it.

I also think all of wl_shell should be a core requirement.