Input and games.

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri May 3 09:12:00 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 21 April 2013 06:28, Todd Showalter <todd at electronjump.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think this is going to require pointer warping. At first I thought it
>> could be done by hiding the pointer and faking it's position, but that would
>> not stop the invisible pointer from moving out of the window and becoming
>> visible, or moving into a hot-spot and triggering an unexpected effect.
>
>     I think edge resistance/edge snapping really wants pointer warping as well.

It's really difficult to achieve a nicely responsive and fluid UI
(i.e. doing this without jumps) when you're just warping the pointer.
To be honest, I'd prefer to see an interface where, upon a click, you
could set an acceleration (deceleration) factor which was valid for
the duration of that click/drag only.  We already have drag & drop
working kind of like this, so it's totally possible to do for relative
(i.e. wl_pointer) devices.  The only two usecases I've seen come up
for pointer warping are this and pointer confinement, which I'd rather
do specifically than through warping - which is a massive minefield I
really, really want to avoid.

But it's also a totally orthogonal discussion. :)

Cheers,
Daniel