minimized and stick windows

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Wed May 8 17:26:40 PDT 2013

Hi Rafael,

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Rafael Antognolli <antognolli at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been looking the Weston code relative to maximized windows, and
> it seems that the respective code for minimized windows wouldn't be
> hard to implement.
>
> The questions are: are there any plans to add it? Is there someone
> already working on it? If not, would it be OK if I start submitting
> patches to try to add support for this?

A month or two ago, Scott Morreau was working on it.  However, his work
never made into weston for a variety of reasons.  Personally, I'm glad to
see someone interested in working on it again because it's something that
wayland will need eventually.

The place to start on it is probably with the following e-mail and the long
string of replies:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-March/007814.html

There was quite a bit of discussion about how to handle it from a protocol
level, but Scott never made an actual version 2.  I'd suggest you start by
reading the chain of e-mails (it goes into April, not just March).  There
were quite a few suggestions in there that could be incorporated.
Hopefully, you can pick through the e-mail discussion and figure out what
the consensus was.  It'd be good to have a pair of fresh eyes look at it.

Of course the minimize feature would be more useful if we had a
> taskbar, or something like that, but I guess that having the code
> necessary for just minimizing the window would already be great.

Scott also had a taskbar implemented and a right-click menu.  That said, I
haven't looked through all of his code and I have no idea what it's like.

> I also would like to implement, if possible the "sticky" window
> feature (when a window is pinned, visible on every workspace). Is this
> a desired feature too?

I'm not the person to answer that question.

Thanks for looking into this,
--Jason Ekstrand