Wayland Relative Pointer API Progress

x414e54 x414e54 at linux.com
Mon Apr 20 01:39:26 PDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay. Using different definitions for terms from different places and
> interpreting the terms used by other people with your own different
> definitions is obviously going to cause disagreement.
>
> I explained what a wl_pointer in Wayland terms is in another email.
> Sounds like it is specifically not a HID pointer device.

Yes this is fair enough.

I read though the wl_gamepad discussion from before and it mostly
seems to be along the same lines as I was thinking.

For example using a PS4 controller which has a built in
trackpad/touchpad. Unless the game specifically wants to use the
trackpad, I would want to be able to use it as the wl_pointer to
interact with other windows without the game loosing gamepad focus.

I was also thinking crazy things like two mice per seat for something
like multiplayer Surgeon Simulator with two hands. Each user needs to
assign one mouse to left and one to right.