[Xcb] XCB Build Questions

Ian Radtke radtki at wet.physics.iastate.edu
Sat Jul 24 12:54:25 PDT 2004

As a long-time coder and Linux user, I've a comparatively simple CVS
question...  Having never really tried my hand at compiling any CVS
source material I'm a bit out of my league without the traditional
configure, make, make install process already prepared.

Following the process on the XCB page, I've checked out all the
required packages.  My first hurdle (admittedly somewhat off topic) is
trying to build and install Xproto.  No instructions are included in
the source tree; thus far I've run the autogen.sh script but following
that up with 'make' returns "Nothing to be done for 'all'".  What do I
need to do?  What is the proper process for handling CVS source
material?

I came to XCB after concluding that random X bugs in my multi-threaded
astronomical image acquisition, frame reduction and quasi-realtime
light curve program were external to my code.  Further research showed
that shoddy thread support in Xlib was a fine bet for the cause of my
errors.

Thanks for your patience and advice with my CVS ignorance...

-Ian Radtke
Associate Scientist
Department of Physics & Astronomy
Iowa State University